Osteoporosis medicine is prescribed when you come down with the disease. Osteoporosis is a disease which makes your bones brittle and susceptible to fractures and breaks. It is a serious condition. 20 percent of people who suffer from a spinal break due to osteoporosis will die within a year. That is why you want to take your osteoporosis medicine.
Post menopausal white and Asian women are the groups most at risk for the condition. 8 million women suffer from osteoporosis and 2 million men do. It is estimated that 50 percent of women will come down with the disease at some point in their lives.
Osteoporosis has no cure but it can be treated. Osteoporosis medicine includes:
· Actinol – Actinol is a bisphosphonate marketed by Aventis. Actinol is a prescription medication that prevents and treats postmenopausal osteoporosis. It is the only oral monthly osteoporosis treatment that has been FDA approved to help prevent fractures at both the spine and other areas where fractures commonly occur
· Boniva – is another bisphosphonate marketed by Roche labortories. It comes in two forms: a tablet and an injection. There are specific guidelines for taking this once a month osteoporosis medication.
· Reclase – another bisphosphonate. It is marketed by Novartis. Reclast is the only FDA-approved, once-a-year treatment for postmenopausal osteoporosis. One annual dose, combined with daily calcium and vitamin D, will help to increase bone density, protecting and strengthening your bones.
· Didronel – marketed by Proctor & Gamble, Didronel tablets contain either 200 mg or 400 mg of etidronate disodium, the disodium salt of (1-hydroxyethylidene) diphosphonic acid, for oral administration. This compound, also known as EHDP, regulates bone metabolism.
· Evistra – marketed by Eli Lilly, is prescribed to treat and prevent osteoporosis, the brittle-bone disease that strikes some women after menopause. It is a selective estrogen receptor modulator
· Forteo – also marketed by Eli Lilly, is a synthetic form of parathyroid hormoneForteo is supplied in a disposable pen device that can be used for up to 28 days to give once-daily self-administered injections. Forteo is available in a 20 microgram (mcg) dose and should be taken for a period of up to 24 months.
· Fosamax – is a Aminobisphosphonate marketed by Merek. It must be taken exactly as prescribed and can be lifestyle inhibiting. However, it is a very effective osteoporosis medicine.
· Miacalcin – is marketed by Novaris. It is a synthetic form of calcitonin, a naturally occurring hormone produced by the thyroid gland. Miacalcin reduces the rate of calcium loss from bones. Since less calcium passes from the bones to the blood, Miacalcin also helps control blood calcium levels. It is a nasal spray.
Contact your doctor to see which osteoporosis treatment is right for you. When you have the illness, it is important to take your osteoporosis medicine.