Taking Peanut Allergies Seriously

Many people have been diagnosed with peanut allergies. This may not seem to be a very serious subject but it can be a matter of life and death. The general public often finds that they have allergies to dust, mold or pets. These allergies are rarely as deadly as peanut allergies. Peanut allergies have been found to be one of the severest forms of allergies. It is important that even people without an intolerance to peanuts understand the seriousness of the allergy.

A person with a peanut allergy can suffer a reaction and die within minutes. The person can have a reaction to eating peanuts, eating something containing a small amount of peanut by-products or by even breathing in the dust from peanuts. Measures have been taken by many organizations in recent years to prevent an unknown exposure to peanuts. These measures have been instrumental in saving many lives.

Protective Measures for Peanut Allergies

One measure that was taken a few years back was a bold step for the airlines industry. Many people remember getting small packages of peanuts when flying. This was certainly quite dangerous for anyone with a peanut allergy. Being in a small closed environment with several people opening bags of peanuts was certainly a cause for concern. Airlines now have switched to snacks which have less of a chance of causing a life threatening reaction.

Another measure which has been taken in recent years is notices on packages of foods prepared where peanuts are used for other products. This is most evident on candy packages but can be seen other places as well. This helps the person with the peanut allergy avoid ingesting a small amount of peanut without knowing it. People with allergies can easily read labels to prepared foods prior to even opening the packages.

Recently, schools have taken measure to prevent a reaction to peanuts. School cafeterias have become diligent in avoiding the purchase and use of any food that may contain peanut or peanut by-products. Also, the schools have taken steps to notify all parents to avoid peanuts when packing their children’s lunches and when providing snacks for the classroom. This is very helpful in preventing a child with peanut allergy from having an unknown exposure.

Young children may not always be diligent in their own care even when they have a known severe allergy. Careful intervention by all adults involved with childcare and education can be a life saving measure. Just as schools keep supplies available for treating a child with a reaction to a bee sting, measures have to be taken to protect children with peanut allergies.